Wednesday, December 24

Santa Winks

For as long as I could remember my Grandma always wore a special Santa pin on Christmas. She had gotten it when she was a little girl and it was awesome because when you tilted it he winked at you.

Grandma died almost 6 years ago now but I still miss her alot. Christmas was her favorite time of the year. I can still remember her singing all off key at midnight service because she just loved those Christmas tunes! She had not one but two trees. One upstairs in her living room, that one always had a theme and was different every year. And one in the basement, that one was fake and it had all the oldies but goodies ornaments on it. We'd always have a huge mountain of presents under that fake tree in the basement. And we'd all huddle around the space heater until the basement warmed up a little. The memories I have of Christmas all revolve around her, she was the glue!

Christmas of 1985 was the year that she and Grandpa made me a dollhouse, it was so fantastic! They had built it out of hardwood and it was wallpapered and decorated perfectly, some rooms even had chair rails. Grandma had braided rugs for the floor and made curtains and bedspreads and even little throw pillows that matched. And in the living room was a teeny Christmas tree with presents under it that I got to unwrap! The love they put into that dollhouse made that the best Christmas ever!!!

Even that last Christmas when she was really sick we went to see her. She stayed on the couch while we opened presents but she was so happy to have her family with her! I know that it meant so much to her to be able to celebrate her favorite time of the year with her favorite people on earth!

I really wish that she was still alive today because she would just love Jumpin' J to pieces. I wish that she had seen me and my brother get married and get to see my little cousins grow up. But I know that she is in a better place now and that her spirit lives on in all of us! So every year at Christmas it is now my proudest moment when I open up that little box and put on the Winking Santa because it reminds me what the true meaning of Christmas is.

IMG_2069
Merry Christmas Grandma!

No comments: